✨ Getting a Schengen Visa While Studying in the UK ✨
Visa application documents and requirements for the UK residents
Although each country varies slightly in the application process, they ll have the same general requirements:
- Less than 10 years old
- With at least 2 blank pages
- Valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you plan to return to the UK.
- UK residence permit valid for at least 3 months beyond planned return to UK.
- Application form.
- Photo, glued on the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
- A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit.
- Flight tickets/travel arrangements.
- Travel Insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000.
- Hotel reservations or proof of participation in group travel.
- A recent current account bank statement showing funds of at least £55 per person per day spent in the Schengen area.
- Photocopies of the original documents also to be submitted. Documents should not be more than one month old.
- An official letter (less than 3 months old) from your school or university within the UK, that states:
- Details of your course
- Your attendance record.
At which Schengen country’s embassy in the UK should I apply for a Schengen visa?
- If visiting one Schengen country – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the particular country of your destination.
- If visiting more than one Schengen country – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the country of your main destination (the country of longest stay).
- If visiting more than one Schengen country with equal stay duration – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the Schengen country you will enter first.
- If you intend to stay in the Schengen area for over 90 days you must apply for a residence permit (Long stay visa), not a Schengen visa. Instructions are on the respective embassy/consulate’s homepage.
Full requirements and guidelines when applying for a:
- France Visa from the UK
- Germany Visa from the UK
- Spain Visa from the UK
- Italy Visa from the UK
- Switzerland Visa from the UK
- Netherlands Visa from the UK
- Greece Visa from the UK
- Portugal Visa from the UK
- Belgium Visa from the UK
- Sweden Visa from the UK
- Norway Visa from the UK
- The Czech Visa from the UK
- Denmark Visa from the UK
- Iceland Visa from the UK
- Malta Visa from the UK
When should I apply?
The best time to apply is at least 15 days before the intended visit to Europe. If you can apply even earlier than that, it is even better – although not earlier than 3 months before the intended visit!
How to apply for a Schengen visa from the UK?
To apply for a Schengen visa from the UK you must book an appointment with the relevant Consulate or Embassy in London. This can be done in two ways:
- By going at the Consulate/Embassy office in person
- By using an online application form from third party companies such as the IAM
Visa application and processing time
You can only apply for a visa within three months of your planned trip to Schengen countries. Since visa applications that are admitted usually take about 15 days to process, you should consider applying at least 15 days before your intended visit to Europe. You should be aware that there are cases where additional documentation is required, processing can take up to a maximum of 60 days.
Consulates advise visa applicants to apply well in advance of their planned trip in order to avoid any unwanted complications.
There are however some specific individual cases where applicants can obtain visas faster through accelerated procedures:
- Applicants who a have a EEA or EU citizen family member
- Cases of extreme medical emergency
*Caution: When applying for a Schengen visa in the United Kingdom during the summer or winter seasons, be cautious and/or plan your visit earlier, as these are the months when the highest numbers of applications arrive in Embassies – consequently, taking longer to complete the visa processing!
Leave A Comment
Connect With Us
We'll Keep you updated with alerts, news and help where you need it